Wednesday, May 31, 2006

South It Is

Yes, sitting here at a computer in above 100 degrees F (42 ish) I have just found out that volunteering in Bangalore IS ON and hanging around in Himalayan ashrams is off. I am very excited and will be spending the next 10 days gallivanting south, quite the opposite direction from any other right minded traveller. The monsoon hit the south last week so it should be an interesting month or so.

The organization that Dave and I will be working for is the Parikrma Foundation, a nonprofit company "aiming to help the poorest of the poor break their cycle of poverty". When a German lass called Steffi described how much she enjoyed her time there and how worthwhile the organisation is I decided I had to give it a go. Her feedback stood out amongst the numerous not so satisfied stories and I hope it will live up to it. You can judge it for yourself by clicking on the link on the right margin of this page.

I just can not wait for another 26 hour train ride across the heart of India at the hottest time of the year in what may be described as a human oven. Delightful.

No comments: